We are looking for a Freelance Experience Architect with a strong background in information architecture, content strategy, and user experience design to join our growing team. The ideal candidate will have professional and academic experience in content strategy, information architecture, journalism, copywriting, content production, marketing, strategic communication, library sciences, human factors, business, or a related field.
The Freelance Experience Architect is responsible for delivering information architecture, content strategy, user experience design, and user research solutions for new and existing Echo&Co clients, products, and services. This includes leading the definition, design, and documentation of content strategy, information architecture, and user experience requirements for delivering web development projects, online strategies, engagement campaigns, and outreach efforts. The Freelance Experience Architect position is ideally located in Washington, D.C., Boston, New York, or remote.
- Lead requirements gathering and the definition of user experience strategies and approaches for clients, including overseeing user interface and interaction design specifications, executing user and usability research, content strategy formulation and articulation, development of content and information architectures, and definition of content management system and functional specifications for clients.
- Provide subject matter expertise and strategic consulting for projects and clients to ensure insights-driven, optimal, and consistent content strategy, information architecture, and user experience.
- Participate on project teams as a subject matter expert and discipline lead on content strategy, information architecture, user experience, user and usability research, and user interface and interaction design, collaborating with the project manager, software architects, and creative designers.
- Lead client stakeholder and executive meetings to gain insights into the organization’s objectives and has the ability to adjust interview methods to fit project goals.
- Support the User Experience team in establishing an insights- and best-practices driven content strategy and user experience discipline at the firm to evangelize a user-centric, content-focused value proposition that leverages user experience at all levels of the client lifecycle, including assessment and strategy development, creative design, technology integration, and ongoing management and consulting.
- Adhere to internal quality assurance processes to ensure that all experience practice-specific deliverables meet the firm’s standards for excellence. Assist the User Experience team in developing these standards.
- Work with portfolio of Echo&Co clients, strategists, project managers, creative designers, software architects, technical developers, contractors, and third-party providers through all aspects of the client lifecycle, including assessment and strategy development, technical integration, and ongoing service and support.
- Conduct usability research and evaluation.
- At least 5-7 years of experience of interactive projects from the agency side, with a focus in requirements analysis, specification development, content strategy, information architecture, user experience design, and implementation.
- Demonstrated expertise in strategic consulting, content strategy, information architecture, user experience design, and user and usability research.
- Success in leading client engagements and nurturing client relationships; experience in strategic advising of client stakeholders, including executives; able to assist client organizations in managing project and organizational change.
- Previous experience leading teams is required. Working closely with multiple Business, Development, and Operational teams throughout the project lifecycle, candidate must have proven experience in experience design, requirements analysis and documentation, leadership, and bringing world-class interactive experiences to market.
- Demonstrated ability to create and leverage requirements assets such as use cases, personas, user stories, process flows, wireframes, prototypes, content strategies, structured content models, and presentations is required. The ideal candidate will possess strong technical acumen, ideally with understanding of digital content publishing architecture, development principles, and web technologies. Knowledge across many functional areas, including product management, business development, software architecture, user interface design, and marketing as well as a comprehensive knowledge of operational systems such as ad sales, lead generation, and billing is required.
- Must be a dynamic team leader, strong communicator, and proactive decision-maker within a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to think strategically and work independently.
- Direct, assertive, eager, and ready for the challenge.
- Must possess excellent user experience, strategic thinking, and analytical skills, and be able to provide leadership and strategic direction to account teams and the firm as a whole.
- Must be trustworthy and sincere, with a “roll up your sleeves” work style.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems at both strategic and tactical (functional) levels.
- Understanding of and comfort with internet technology and web development tools and processes. Experience with Drupal and WordPress a plus.
- Understanding of online organizing, advocacy, fundraising, and engagement strategies and best practices.
- Must be active in the user experience and/or content strategy professional field and have an understanding of industry best practices and trends.
- Must have a social good orientation with an interest in working for mission-driven clients, including progressive nonprofit organizations, socially responsible enterprises, government agencies, and multinational institutions that seek to make positive change.
- Must thrive in an environment that promotes change, embraces innovation, and runs on teamwork.
- Willingness and availability to travel occasionally for job-related activities.